Monday 3 September 2012

Song of the week: Miles until morning

In answer to, literally, a request, I occasionally post my own songs on this blog. That's fair enough, because I reckon it's about time that some other folk got to suffer for my art. Whenever I feature a different track from my extensive back catalogue of non-hits, I will include a little bit of background information. Many of these songs could have been successful, but only if they had been written, produced and recorded by someone more talented. 

Today's song is ‘Miles until Morning’, taken from the second Eisenhowers album ‘Film your own Atrocities’. 

A couple of years ago, I was playing with a band that was doing some work with the charming singer Sam Brown and I had the notion that this song might have suited her down to the ground. Abject cowardice (and a fearsome minder in a suit) stopped me handing my demo to Ms Brown after a gig one night in Perth. That’s Perth, Scotland and not Perth, Australia. Who knows what might have happened had I managed to seize that particular moment?  

Sam didn’t cover the song, but she did once borrow the piano on which it was written and recorded. Perhaps, one day, rock historians will deem that fact to have been significant. But probably not. Backing vocals on this version are provided by Kelsey Hunter, a splendid young Scottish singer about whom you may well be hearing a lot more. 

The image was provided by Milada Vigarova from the excellent Unsplash.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment